Thursday, November 01, 2007

installing mysql and sshd on Ubuntu 7.10

One of my programmers asked me how to install MySQL and SSHd on Ubuntu 7.10. I assumed that it would be Applications -> Add / Remove -> MySQL and SSHd. I learned that Ubuntu 7.10, out of the box, doesn't have the repositories configured for these servers and also that there is a little different approach for services.


Here's what I ended up doing, and I like it:


System -> Administration -> Software Sources
Ubuntu Software
X Canonical-supported Open Source software
X Community-maintained Open Source software
X Software restricted by copyright or legal issues
Third-party Software
X http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu gutsy partner
Close

Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal
sudo apt-get install mysql-server
sudo apt-get install openssh-server


Good stuff.

No comments: